Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Really?

As anyone who knows me will verify, I have a love/hate relationship with running (I love when I'm not running, and hate when I am running). Last Wasatch Back I decided I'm past the point of being able to run it without training. If I run this year, I get an awesome 5-year medal, so I want to run.

Last night as Tash, Morgan, Katie and I were visiting some friends topic of running came up and Jared (friend) began extolling the virtues of barefoot running. I had heard mention of it before, and everyone knows about those crazy barefoot running Mexicans. So I decided I would look in to it for a couple of reasons.

a) Jared said there is less impact and you feel lighter on your feet so you can get into more of zone, which not only makes running bearable, but it makes it fun.And you don't feel so beat up afterward.

b) If it works and I can run faster and farther, then I look totally awesome with no shoes on. If it doesn't work, and I'm stay slow, I can blame my lack of shoes for my poor performance. So really, it's win-win.

Anyway, I thought I'd check it out this morning so I started googling and the auto fill feature gave me this:



Barefoot running shoes? If they are shoes, you aren't really barefoot anymore, right?

2 comments:

Megan said...

I think barefoot running sounds great, but then you'll step on a rock and then what? If you really start doing this you have to expound upon the logistics. I'm really curious. REally. And I've seen those crazy mexicans in action. Amazing stuff. But then their feet are so rough it looks like their wearing boots.

Greg and Jayne said...

I have had the same puzzled feeling as you as I have read about barefoot running (because you guys were talking about it). Why is there evidently a whole industry making gear for barefoot running? I'll tell you - if there is a thought or idea or whiff of anything new, an industry builds around it. It's the American way.