Monday, September 22, 2008

Doing good and having fun

Saturday was the second anual I Think I CANyons ride. It starts at the Barbacoa on Wasatch Blvd, up and down Little Cottonwood, Big Cottonwood, Millcreek, and Emigration Canyons, ending back at Barbacoa. All told it's about 110 miles with 12,000 vertical feet of climbing. As the volunteer t-shirts said, it's Utah's most intense century.

I have been commuting a fair amount this year, but I haven't been on very many good long rides, so I was in no shape to climb four canyons in a day. Instead I volunteered. My wife, my baby, and I headed up to the S curve in Big Cottonwood with a cooler and a box of snacks for the riders.

The weather was cool, the canyon was a particulary vibrant green from the morning rain, and the S curve was bustling with hikers, climbers, and cyclists. We passed out food and filled water bottles, in between I spent time with Tasha, Morgan, and Norman Maclean. After all the riders had gone up and down we headed to the improptu race headquarters in the Olympus Village parking lot for Barbacoa with siblings/co-volunteers. A great way to spend a saturday.

The best part of the day was being a part of the story of the ride. A few years ago some high school friends of mine and my sister organized and rode a 1,000 mile epic ride for the 4th Street Clinic. Last year the epic ride became I Think I Canyons. This year the ride grew to around 40 riders. In the past three years a couple of kids from Salt Lake, who don't have much [any] clout, have managed to raise over $10,000 for a very worthy cause.

This is a perfect example of people wanting to help their community, then actually doing something about it. Doing good can seem daunting. Which is where I get caught up. The thought of my piddly donation seems insignificant in view of everything that needs to be done. I can't possibly be of any real help. But here are some regular kids, students, looking to pay tuition, and rent, and buy food, and have social lives, and be 20-somethings. It's amazing what a good idea and a little effort can do.

No comments: