Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Fall Break Day 2

I don't usually have classes on Tuesday, so the fall break aspect of today was minimal.

I've been sitting in front of my computer for about 20 minutes now, trying to decide what to write. On the shelf above my desk is a double opening picture frame I got for Christmas last year. My in-laws, knowing that I like bikes, took some pictures at a couple of train stations in Europe. The two current pictures are from the Netherlands. From far away it is hard to tell that the pictures are of racks and racks of bikes because the frames and wheels and bars and reflectors look like some sort of outdoor installation. But they are indeed bikes, hundreds of them.

I keep the pictures not only because they are aesthetically pleasing, but because they were taken on a regular work day. I have seen pictures akin to these from the states, but only at special occasions. The start/finish area at 24 Hours of Moab had huge racks of bikes the 4 years I did it, and I'm sure the racks have expanded. San Francisco critical mass draws crowds of thousands, but those are special events.

The amazing thing is that few if any of those bike owners are thinking about their carbon footprints. The bicycle is part of everyday life. Here it is a lifestyle, not part of life. A bike can be a defining characteristic here.

I work above a bank. The bank manager brought up a new teller the other day, after introductions he asked, "are you the one who rides the bike?" It will be an interesting day when someones asks, "are you the one who drives the car?"

I don't think I'll see that day, but it will happen as transit options grow and development patterns change. It won't be a moral issue like it can be today [I've said it before, I mostly ride transit and my bike because I like them. I do think we should drive less, but I am not morally opposed to cars], but single occupancy vehicles will become inconvenient and attitudes will change.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Bikes in Europe are indeed an interesting thing. I remember the first time I saw someone riding their bike and smoking. I thought that was so strange. I had never seen that in the states. Here it seems like people ride their bikes for enjoyment or exercise but rarely because they need to go to the store for more smokes. I vowed that when I came home from Hungary I'd ride the bus, walk, or bike. I biked for awhile, but after I started showing up at work dripping sweat, I bought a car. I'm kinda disappointed in myself. okay, I'm really disappointed.